Millbrook 0-3 Helston

Sep 8, 2021

MILLBROOK’S hectic August schedule came to a disappointing close as they were well beaten by impressive Helston at Jenkins Park.

In what was already their ninth fixture of the season, and only 48 hours after a tough battle at Tavistock, Millbrook looked a tired outfit and could not find their rhythm.

The outcome might have been different had referee Adrian Clements pointed to the penalty spot on two occasions when Helston were only a goal ahead. Both appeals were waved away with gusto by the official.

But take nothing away from Helston. Only two days after a shock home defeat by Bitton, they responded with a strong performance and might have scored more goals.

Millbrook had started the game brightly and in the sixth minute Rikki Shepherd raced clear of the high offside trap near the halfway line with what looked like a great opportunity until he tripped over his own bootlaces.

Defensive sloppiness then presented Helston with a chance of their own in the 11th minute and they didn’t waste it. Kai Cornish passed inside for Craig Veal to hammer the ball home.

Helston dominated the remainder of the first half and only the woodwork prevented further goals for Stuart Bowker and Phil Cattran before a superb challenge by Ryan Tetley denied Cornish.

But with the score at only 1-0, Millbrook were still in it and they argued with some justification for a penalty in the 42nd minute when Luke Tripcony barged into the back of Shepherd deep inside the penalty area.

It was the type of challenge which brings an immediate free kick anywhere else on the pitch, but the referee deemed it fair.

Billy Tucker looked favourite to extend Helston’s lead a minute later but he was denied by a fine save from keeper Ash Clelland, making his Millbrook debut in place of the injured Sam Borthwick.

There was still time for a Millbrook chance in the dying seconds of the half when an inch perfect cross from Laurence Murray picked out Ben Holter in the middle, but his header was well saved by Marko Radovanovic.

The home side had their second penalty appeal in the 62nd minute when Ed Goodman went down under a challenge from Tom Hands. Again there looked a strong case for a spot kick but the referee thought otherwise.

It proved to be a turning point as Helston wrapped up the points with two Kai Cornish goals in six minutes. The winger  produced an excellent low finish from the right after 67 minutes and capitalised on a defensive mix-up to make it 3-0 in the 73rd minute.

There was no way back for Millbrook from there as Helston saw out the game comfortably, with the commanding central defender Josh Storey pushing Cornish hard for the man of the match nomination.