Millbrook 3-3 Helston

Sep 30, 2021

Mackenzie Brown is running in the London Marathon on Sunday – you could argue it will be less stressful than watching the football team he manages.

The 26.2 miles he hopes to conquer at the weekend to raise money for the charity Whizz Kidz is bound to stretch him to his limits physically.But mentally it will surely be a break from the rollercoaster ride which is watching his own whizz kids of Millbrook. Four days after throwing away a three-goal lead to be pegged back to a 3-3 draw by Bridgwater, the Brook rescued a Western Premier point at Helston after trailing 2-0 at half-time.

Brown said:
“This 3-3 draw certainly didn’t feel as bad as Saturday’s, but it was another incredible game where again I was extremely proud of the performance of my players.

“The character of the side is incredible; the hammer blow of conceding the third three minutes before the end could have finished us, but we reacted brilliantly again.

“It was a great way to bounce back after the feeling of Saturday and the players deserved that feeling at the final whistle.”

Tom Payne’s injury time penalty to make it 3-3 rewarded Millbrook for an exceptional second half performance.

Under a fair amount of pressure from disgruntled home officials and supporters, Payne coolly sent Helston keeper Marko Radovanovic the wrong way to spark wild celebrations in the away ranks.

Had Brown’s side come away from Kellaway Park empty-handed it would have been an injustice. Only some poor finishing prevented them from taking all three.

Their first gilt-edged opportunity arrived in the 16th minute when Sam Morcom, who had travelled from university in Bristol to play, saw his fierce left foot shot grabbed at the second attempt by Radovanic after Jake Foster’s low right foot shot had skimmed across the six yard box.

They were made to pay when Stuart Bowker, having been denied what looked like a stonewall penalty in the second minute, responded by firing Helston into the lead after 23 minutes.

It developed into an end-to-end thriller and Millbrook had another great chance in the 38th minute when Foster was played clear on the right and he cut inside to produce a piledriver which was blocked in the six yard box.

The ball eventually broke to Jack Wood on the edge of the D but his shot cleared the bar.

Had they gone in 1-0 down at half-time, Millbrook would have been disappointed. But 2-0 was harsh as Billy Tucker, wide on the right, curled a superb left footed free kick into the far corner a minute before the break.

The response from the visitors was positive. Within five minutes of the restart they had seen a confident penalty appeal rejected before Rikki Shepherd smashed a close range shot against the bar.

Helston had a golden opportunity to put the game to bed in the 55th minute as Ryan Turner raced clear into the penalty area but he then appeared to trip over his own boot as he was about to shoot.

Within seven minutes Millbrook were back in the game with Wood glancing in a Morcom cross and after another period of pressure, Shepherd hammered in the equaliser 11 minutes from time.

Millbrook were now in the ascendancy but their hopes seemed to be dashed in the 87th minute when Turner made up for his earlier miss by gleefully firing into the net after a melee in the six yard box.

That would have finished off most teams but Millbrook, urged on by manager Brown from the sidelines, went in search of another equaliser and they found it in the first minute of stoppage time.

Payne’s free kick from wide on the right was comfortably held by keeper Radovanovic but the referee spotted a push on a Millbrook player and pointed to the spot.

In that situation, you couldn’t have a better player than Payne to step up. And he duly delivered.